Friday 25 April 2014

Homemade Dried Apple


I have been very productive today.  Firstly I have dinner prepped and cooking away in the slow cooker (Homemade Pork Curry, blog coming).  I wanted to make my own muesli, and as healthy as possible. 
 
Muesli is not always for those on a diet, and what you buy is not always as healthy as you may think.  Firstly if you are on a diet be careful what you eat with muesli, the sugars added can be through the roof.  I decided that I wanted apple in my muesli so when I saw that there was added sugar in the readymade dried apple packets I decided to make my own.

Drying your own fruit still contains a lot of natural sugars. 

It is super easy, just a little time consuming.  Next I shall be drying my bananas too.

All you need is one apple, a baking tray, parchment paper and an oven! 

When I make this again, I shall do at least 2 apples - so the kids can have a health lunchbox addition (they have not seen a scrap from this batch, it was too good to share)!


Method:

Simply slice or dice the apple discarding the core (also skin is optional, I kept mine on for the added goodness.  I was worried it may be tough, but it was perfect).  To be honest, I preferred the diced pieces to add to my muesli, but I would slice for the kids’ lunch boxes as an alternative snack!

Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper, and sprinkle the apple pieces.

Pre-heat an oven to 100°C (Fan assisted) and bake the apple pieces for an hour, turn/stir all the pieces and bake for another hour (slightly chewy) or 2 hours (for crisper).  Switch the oven off and leave the door ajar till cool.

 Tadahh, these are yummy (hence the amount of apple diminishes with each photo – I could not resist!) ready to eat or add to muesli or desserts.

Coming next....Homemade Muesli!

No comments:

Post a Comment