Sunday 7 April 2013

Low Sodium Chinese Food Recipes

I have been trying for ages to think of some Chinese food that is low in sodium.  I will have to keep thinking, but so far I have not been able to come up with much – as everything that brings the flavours of the Far-East contains a lot of sodium – Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce, Fish Sauce….I’m thinking the way forward is using low salt soy sauce and you cannot beat Kikkoman for soy sauce  for 40% less salt Soy Sauce
Here is our dinner last night – which includes just a little bit of low-salt Soy Sauce. 



Steamed Fish with Ginger and Spring Onion and Garlic Oil Vegetables

2 fillets of fish or one whole fish
1 Finger of ginger – 3cm
3 Spring Onions

Vegetables – of choice
3 cloves of garlic
4 tbls Sunflower/vegetable oil

My favourite fish to use is whole Sea bass; however I have just used a filleted white fish – which is great for anyone who has problems with bones or fish heads!  Any fish pretty much works well – salmon, sea bass, cod…even crab.

Firstly thinly slice the ginger and spring onions (take the outer layer off, divide the onion into 3 lengthways, then half down the length.  You can get julienne slices from the inside out –i.e. not laying the flat side down). 

No need to throw away the dry old ends of the onion lay it on the plate you are using to steam on.  Then place the fish on top (if you are using a whole fish, place some ginger slices on the bottom of the plate too).  Place the fish on top, lay ginger slices all over, and then scatter the spring onion.  Now your fish is ready to steam – but wait until the vegetables are prepped.

Again any veg will do.  We prefer lots of green leafy stuff – here I have a plate of fine beans, spinach, Savoy cabbage and baby greens.

Slice a few (3) cloves of garlic as fine as you can.
Now ready to go…

I use a claw in the bottom of a large pan for steaming, add water – just below the claw – and bring to the boil.  Turn down the heat just while you put the plate in the pan, once in put the lid on tightly then turn the heat up high – you want a high boil – 7 minutes is great for 2 thick fillets.

While the fish is steaming, time to boil the vegetables.  I boiled the beans (or broccoli) for 1-2 minutes then threw in the rest – stir quickly, and it should all wilt.  Strain as soon as wilted – shake off the water and plate.

Bring the oil to the shimmer heat (you can see the oil start to move/shimmer – just before smoking).  Throw in the garlic, and turn the heat off – I have coloured my garlic – which will need straining – unless like me you have a husband who likes slightly bitter garlic!
Poor the garlic oil over the veg.

When the fish is ready, carful when removing (I wrap my hand in a tea towel –and make sure you have turned the heat off) – you can check the fish is cooked – opaque and not transparent by lifting a part in the middle with chopsticks or a knife.  (If you are using frozen fish, there may be a lot of water on the plate – tip away some, but keep a few tablespoons)

When cooked, pour over a teaspoon of soy sauce (my husband would pour to the side – so it goes in the fish juices and you can dip as you take the fish – but I like to cover all over my fish!)

No comments:

Post a Comment