Monday 15 April 2013

Cake International Day 1

I was hunched over a cake for 4 days!  My back was sore, neck was agony, mind was full of nerves and expectation but I dragged my little body out of bed at 5am to make my way to London ExCel centre for Cake International.  I had entered a cake into the wedding cake competition.

I left the house at 5.30 – breakfast a bag of dry Cheerio’s to eat in the car washed down by a bottle of OJ, makeup in bag to be applied after set up – but actually applied in car while swearing as stuck in traffic and smart jumper to be swapped with grubby hoodie before getting out the car.

Set up at the venue was between 7.15 and 8.45am I arrived at 8.15 having been stuck in traffic for the last 10 miles (a journey that should have taken and hour and half!)!  Although this sounds like enough time to set up a cake, if there has been any damage on route it’s time to be corrected.  I was very fortunate that there were no major accidents and the cake arrived relatively unharmed, so set up was quick. 

When I found my designated area – I saw I was dwarft by this gigantic golden wave of macarons!  Love it or hate it, it received so much attention and I saw so many people over look my little 5 tier effort!  Whenever anyone asked what my entry was, they were easily directed with – “it’s in the shadow of the giant gold wave!”

I was told off by the cardboard box police twice, once for having the box on the table – while struggling to get the cake out, and again for having the box on the floor – apparently it was suppose to be at the side out of the way….hi ho!

So here is my final piece!  I was very pleased with it.  Like so many others, once I had set up, I looked around and saw the astonishing cakes that were around and I realised that I had an ‘okay’ cake but there are so many AMAZING cakers! 




















I was honoured to get a Merit award, it was my first entry, and I could see a couple of spots that were not perfect so I was really happy to be graded!  It was so much hard work, but I have had such an amazing weekend that I am already planning my next entry which will hopefully be at CI in the NEC around
November.  The scariest part of the whole process was transporting it, so I may make cupcakes!

Here’s what I saw around me once I set up!  My heart sank for my little dress inspired cake, but I was so please to see so much talent in a field that I love, and meet some of the wonderful creators!
   
 

It appears blogger has issues with the amount of photos I wanted to upload! 

Please do take a look at my facebook page for 100's of pictures including cookies and cupcakes, novelty and more wedding!
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Coco-Blossom-Chocolates-and-Cakes/254339047934519

No comments:

Post a Comment