Saturday 23 March 2013

My First Blog and Custard Cream Biscuits

So my first blog post, and I never thought it would be one involving the kids!  Not that I don’t love my kids – they are just not allowed in the kitchen very often!

Today I feel like there is a ferret running around in my sinuses and having a good claw about on my brain.  So why on earth did I say yes when the kids asked to bake something?  Perhaps their droning and whining was even more painful to bear and I buckled.  We managed to negotiate from full blown ornate cupcakes using all the cutters, pearls and fondants down to custard cream biscuits.  (Of course these have been on my want list for the last couple of weeks!  But they don’t need to know that!)

I started with Nigella’s ‘Feast’ recipe, and then found Jo Wheatly’s ‘A Passion for Baking’ online.  I could not be bothered to move an entire cupboards contents to get to the food processor (necessary for Nigella’s) plus did not think the kids would find that much fun (of course that was a latter thought) so we muddled through by hand.

I managed to wangle making the buttercream filling all by myself, so did get 5 minutes peace with my whisk!  Although having made 1000’s of kilos of BC I managed to mess it up …trying to take a shortcut and make it all in one go!  As I am sure will become apparent as the blog continues, I LOVE custard; I added 5 times more than Nigella said and twice as much as Jo.  I think it tastes rather nice!

Here is the final result which all considering I am rather pleased with – I did not abandon all and leave to burn in the oven and even piped the cream in the middle!

I think I will tweak the recipe between the 2 a little more, roll out thinner and perhaps wait until everyone is at school and I am feeling less zombie like! 
Now I'm hoping to go and snooze on the sofa, fingers crossed no lego pieces will get shoved in my ear or up my nose!

I hope to make these again soon, and get my own recipe which I will then share with you!

1 comment:

  1. When I sort a recipe and make it my own, I'll post it!

    ReplyDelete