Saturday 20 April 2013

Hot Cross Buns Puddings

Quick!  Run to the shops before the season ends (or make your own ones using the recipe I posted) and buy some Hot Cross Buns!  In fact buy loads and stick them in your freezer, I have just had the most AMAZING dessert!!!  I should probably say it is a great way to use up your Hot Cross Buns after Easter, but actually I now buy the buns just to make this!  (I would make them to eat fresh)

This was a really easy and quick after dinner pudding (dessert may be a little too refined for this!)!  Made in seconds, and popped in the oven to heat up while we ate.

I used:
4-5 hot cross buns
1 carton of ready made custard
Handful of chocolate chips

Oh my, I can not begin to describe how good this is!

Pre-heat oven to 180ºC fan

So, slice the buns in half horizontally and lay in the bottom of an oven proof dish I had space for one extra cut in half too.  Spread over a cup of custard, sprinkle over some chocolate chips.  Then repeat – I had the crosses face up but they were mainly covered by the second layer of custard and chocolate chips!


Shove it in the oven while you eat your dinner – approximately 30 minutes.

Serve with cream, more custard or ice-cream!!!
The custard in the pudding turns to chocolate custard, the buns do not turn all stodgy like in a Hot Cross Bun Bread and Butter Pudding but become soft and warm and we all just loved it!!!!!
Enjoy!

PS. I also made Hot Cross Bun Bread and Butter Pudding (Hot Cross Bun and Butter Pudding) using

325ml/11fl oz full-fat milk
100ml/3½fl oz double cream
2 large free-range eggs
25g/1oz caster sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp demerara sugar
Zest of 1 lemon or orange
Handful of summer berries

As above, cut the buns, in the middle layer just sprinkle the berries.  Next, mix the milk and cream stir in the caster sugar and lemon zest.  Whisk the eggs, then stir into the milk mixture. Pour the whole lot over the bread, sprinkle over some Demerara and cinnamon, and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Serve warm.

But can honestly say that we did not enjoy it as much– I have not had many bread and butter puddings, but it seems that it is very stodgy

No comments:

Post a Comment